PlayStation Compass - App Feature
More than ever before, people are taking up video games as their go-to entertainment of choice. There are a variety of genres to please all the various tastes for gamers.
- Independent development and Triple-A (AAA) production of video games is producing games at record rates.
- The push of platform holders offering games digitally versus traditional retail models, consumers are having a hard time discovering new games.
- The need for adjusting the curation of games, that match a player’s gaming preference and purchasing habits.
Focusing on the PlayStation Store, the objective is not to overhaul the existing customer experience in its current state.
Establish a sole area within the store, where the gamer can make choices based on their gaming habits and preferences. Thus creating a more tailored discovery of game titles and expandability.
- Currently, the PlayStation Store has a section called “Just For You”. That is the starting point for a new rebranded feature called PlayStation Compass.
- Reduce reliance on the traditional search bar and outdated categories.
- Stop games from getting lost from overcrowding on the digital storefront.
- There are so many games coming out on erratic release schedules, players are having a hard time keeping track.
Research & Process
Classifying Libraries and Genres
- The PlayStation Store currently aggregates past games played to make broad suggestions.
- Those results would be displayed on constant in the “Just For You” tab.
- From surveys, players have accumulated a larger digital library of past PlayStation titles versus physical copy purchases.
- New gaming genres like battle royale or subsets of larger genres have also lead to new pricing models.
Friends vs. Influencers vs. Streamers
- From the survey and interviews conducted, a large group of users rely on influencers and streamers.
- Players look to their friends to see what they’re currently playing online.
- The purchase and referral decisions resulted in crafting two personas that would use PlayStation Compass.
Cross-Gen Visual Design
- The visual design for PlayStation Compass, takes into account of the current PlayStation branding and current mobile iOS app.
- Create a design system that pulls from previous PlayStation generations usage of icons and aesthetics.
Low & High Fidelity Screens
From L-R : wireframe for Get Started, Game Libraries and Gaming Categories
From L-R : high fidelity screens for Get Started, Game Libraries and Gaming Categories applied with UI design treatment
- Analytics – Access to PlayStation’s proprietary data analytics, could be incorporated to power PlayStation Compass.
- Data Sources – Data obtained from game save files on local and cloud storage, could help users in purchasing future game titles.
- Classifications – Future classification could also include game development studios and not just publishers.
- Artificial Intelligence – With the advancements to voice interface and deep learning, the next phase of a built-in AI Assistant could be included.
PlayStation Compass has a viable potential to be implemented with the current build of the PlayStation App and the current PlayStation 4 gaming console. With game development continuing to flourish, there needs to be a more attuned method to discovery and curation for gamers.
Want to read and look over more of the research and process that went into this case study? Click on the button to continue reading.
For more case studies, click on one of the following below.